Music sets the mood for every wedding and can often make or break your night. So it’s very important that you find an entertainment vendor who will not only play great music but will also do so in a style that gets the crowd going. We’ve put together a comprehensive list of questions to ask your wedding entertainment before the big day.
Tip: Print out the list and take it to your meeting.
Basic & Background Questions:
- Are you available for your date?
- How long have you been performing?
- How many weddings do you do on average over a weekend?
- Do you perform at more than one event in a day?
- Have you done events at my wedding venue?
- Do you include any other elements, such as lighting?
- Do you have references that we can call?
- Can you tell me about something unexpected that happened at an event and how you handled it?
Music Questions for DJ or Band:
- Can we see you performing live or do you have a CD of your music or a video from a prior wedding where you performed?
- What happens if you or one of your band members is sick on the day of the event?
- What will you and/or the band be wearing?
- Can we provide “must-play” and “never play” song lists?
- Can you assist me in choosing the music for my processional, recessional, father-daughter dance, etc.?
- How extensive is your music library or song list? What genres can you cover?
- Do you take any breaks? What music will be provided during the breaks?
- What do you do to motivate the crowd if nobody is dancing?
Pricing & Payment Questions:
- What is included (hours, equipment etc.) in the cost of the package?
- How much would you additional time?
- Are there any additional fees that could accrue that I am not taking into account, like travel expenses or charges for special music requests?
- How much of a deposit do you require and when is it due?
- Do you offer a payment plan? What is your refund/cancellation policy?
- How far in advance do I need to book you?
- What information do you need from me before the wedding day?
- Are you insured? Can you provide a electrical testing certificates for the venue
- Can you also be an MC? And how would you define your “style” when making announcements?
- Do you have backup plans for equipment failures etc.?
- What kind of space or stage do you require for the DJ or band? If the venue doesn’t provide what you need, will you make arrangements for the stage or am I responsible for renting it?
- How much time will you need for setup, sound check and breakdown on the day of the event?
- What time will you arrive at the site?
- Will we meet again before the wedding?
- When do we need to submit our music requests and event details?
- Do you (and each band member, if you’re booking a band) require a meal? And, what is your policy on alcohol or smoking during the wedding?
We hope this post helped you prep for your meeting with potential entertainment vendors. We’d love to hear from you – do you have any other advice, tips or questions for brides to be? Comment below and let us know.
If you liked this post, we’d love it if you shared it with your friends, and if you haven’t signed up to our blogspiration weekly newsletter yet, sign up now. When you sign up you’ll get a FREE copy of our EPIC Wedding Planner – includes over 100 pages of checklists and templates to help make the wedding planning process stress free.
And, if you missed our last post Important Questions to Ask Your Wedding Officiant go check it out here.