With all the stress that can come with planning a wedding, the last thing you want to worry about is whether your wedding officiant is going to do a good job during the ceremony. That said, your officiant can most certainly make or break your big day. Making sure you and your wedding officiant are on the same page is vital to getting the ceremony you’ve always dreamed of.
How they picture the wedding, their background and their spirituality are all factors that need to be taken into consideration when deciding on who will be the person to marry you and your future husband. With that in mind, here are 22 important questions to ask when choosing the ideal wedding officiant.
- Are you available on the date?
- Are you happy to travel to my wedding destination?
- Do you charge a fee?
- Do you submit the paperwork on our behalf?
- Do you have a contingency plan in case you cannot make the big day?
- What are the extra fees for marriage licenses etc?
- How long have you been officiating weddings?
- Why do you do them?
- What are your credentials?
- Do you wish us to do any kind of premarital counselling beforehand?
- Can we include or exclude religious elements if we want?
- Have you ever turned down a couple’s invitation to perform their ceremony and why?
- How do you feel about photographers during the ceremony?
- Are you happy to perform a ceremony if it is not at your church?
- How many times would you like to meet before the wedding?
- Can we see the speech beforehand?
- Are you available via phone or email if we have questions?
- Will you be joining us at the reception?
- Do you have sample readings to show us?
- Can we personalise the ceremony with specific music, readings or vows?
- What will the ceremony entail and how long will it be?
We hope this post helped you feel more confident about choosing the perfect wedding officiant. Do you have any ceremony blunder stories to share? We certainly know a few! Comment below and let us know all about it!
If you enjoyed this post, we’d appreciate it if you shared it with your friends! And if you haven’t signed up to our blogspiration weekly newsletter yet then sign up now. When you sign up you’ll get a FREE copy of our EPIC Wedding Planner – includes over 100 pages of checklists and templates to help make the wedding planning process stress free.
And, if you missed our last post 4 Beautiful DIY Wedding Bunting Ideas go check it out here.